For many of us at Mason Jar Music, the music of the 1990s was the backdrop to our coming of age. It was our introduction to pop culture and the soundtrack to our middle school dances. This year, continuing our annual Decoration Day cover series, we've asked a few of our favorite local Brooklyn artists to re-imagine a 1990s song of their choosing. Together with the Mason Jar Music House Band, we've crafted this humble homage to a few of the great turn-of-the-century artists, including Smashing Pumpkins, Macy Gray, Cher and Lauryn Hill.
The Decoration Day series began on a whim three years ago after a last minute studio cancellation inspired co-founders Dan Knobler & Jon Seale to record an EP of some their favorite songs. In what has become a celebrated Mason Jar Music tradition, the collective unites friends and collaborators for one weekend each spring to record a group of themed cover songs to be released around Memorial Day.
released May 22, 2014
Produced by Mason Jar Music
Recorded & Mixed by Dan Knobler & Jon Seale at Mason Jar Music on April 3rd-5th
Mastered by Jacob Blumberg
Mason Jar Music House Band:
Dan Knobler - Guitars
Jake Sherman - Organ, piano, wurlitzer, synths
Jason Burger - Drums and percussion
Zack Rosen - Bass
- Megan Lui - Harmony vocals on "1979"
- Russell Durham - Violin on "1979"
- Keenan O'Meara, Stefan Weiner, and Jon Seale - Harmony vocals on "I Try"
- Daniel Woods - Guitar on "Sweetest Thing"
- Megan Lui, Stefan Weiner, Jaime Woods, and Keenan O'Meara - Lead vocals on "You Get What You Give"
- Rachel Porter, Brittany Buongiorno, Andrew Butler, and Jon Seale - Group vocals on "You Get What You Give"
- Michaela Anne - Harmony vocals on "Believe"
- Brittany Buongiorno & Jon Seale - Harmony vocals on "Ain't That Lonely Yet"
- Phil Sterk - Pedal Steel on "Ain't That Lonely Yet"
- Paul Kowert - Double bass on "My Heart"
Cover photo by Sasha Arutyunova
Carrie, Katrina, Millie, Bailey, Keenan O'Meara, Megan Lui, Daniel & Jaime Woods, Fox Schwach, Michaela Anne, Flearoy, Twain, Stefan Weiner, Emily Elbert, Seamless, Smashing Pumpkins, Macy Gray, Lauryn Hill, New Radicals, Sheryl Crow, Dwight Yoakam, Cher, Neil Young.
And a big thank you to Jason, Zack, Jake, Russell, Phil, Paul, Brittany, Andrew, Rachel, and Jacob for lending your time and talents.
Tracklist & Songwriters:
1. 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
2. I Try - Macy Gray
(Macy Gray / Jermey Ruzumna)
3. Sweetest Thing - Lauryn Hill
4. You Get What You Give - New Radicals
(Gregg Alexander / Rick Nowels)
5. If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow
(Sheryl Crow / Jeff Trott)
6. Ain't That Lonely Yet - Dwight Yoakam
(Kostas / James House)
7. Believe - Cher
(Brian Higgins / Stuart McLennen / Paul Barry / Steven Torch / Matthew Gray / Timothy Powell)
8. My Heart - Neil Young